Friday, June 9, 2017

We've got pickles!  I spent the day yesterday canning my first ever batch of pickles.  I have let my fear dictate what I have been doing as far as pickling and canning.    It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, now we get to wait a little bit before we try to eat them.  Not sure how long we should wait, so I'll have to research this a little further.  I have six bread and butter and six kosher dills.  So excited to try them.


I was explaining to my cousin my fear of failure in trying these things.  He gave me some very good advice.  "Yes, you will have some failures, but you keep trying".  Hmmmmm, see that advice everyday on Facebook, but never applied it to my gardening and canning, etc.

Here is a picture of my second attempt at growing carrots.  So excited!


Last year one of my youngest grand-daughters couldn't believe carrots came out of the ground.  Her little eyes lit up and she was so excited.  The fact that there were none left after dinner was a testament as to how good they were.  Is it just me, or does the home-grown veggies actually taste BETTER than the store bought in cans?  Even if it is all in my imagination, it is cleaner and healthier eating, and I can get behind that every day!  Now let's go see about harvesting some onions for the first time ever!  😋

No comments:

Post a Comment